Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Mid-Century Modern (And Soul) Search

Today I ventured out to Forest Hill Antiques on the hunt for a mid-century modern coffee table. I've been searching for this piece of furniture for about 4 years now with no luck. Everything I love seems to be way out of my price range, leaving my living room feeling a bit naked. That's okay though. I would rather have nothing at all than a bunch of stuff I don't feel good about.

I almost lost track of that attitude today in my quest to purchase a coffee table. I've only recently begun to frequent antique shops and thrift stores for the pieces I want, and I'm realizing it might take some time. After a period of frustration today, I've decided I'm okay with that too. A wonderful 80 year old woman named Bitsy at Forest Hill Antiques brought me back down to earth. We got to chatting and realized we have a lot in common. She's a child of the depression era (the original one) and knows a thing or two about living minimally. After that conversation I was reminded that life is about experiences and people, not having the perfect (fill in the blank). It's easy to get side-tracked when I'm on a mission.

Despite not finding my coffee table today, I did enjoy checking out Forest Hill Antiques. Everything seemed very reasonably priced and they had an awesome selection of mid-century modern furniture and decor. Highly recommended! Also, if you are ever in Northern VA, check out Mom's Memories (13231 Gordon Blvd, Woodbridge, VA 22191). The prices are absolutely jaw dropping and they also have some mid-century pieces mixed in. I almost purchased a coffee/side table set for only $110, just to give a feel for how inexpensive it is. We're talking IKEA prices. I have also seen some nice "fixer upper" pieces at Diversity Thrift here in town. Good, quality stuff is definitely out there - it just takes some patience to find it at an affordable price.

Kristen Ziegler

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey I was wondering if they had any dressers? I am looking for one for my little girl.

Anonymous said...

They did have some dressers at Forest Hill, although I did not see any in the mid-century modern style. There were some nice mcm ones at Diversity Thrift last week. I'm finding that dressers are the easiest piece to come by in this style, so I'm sure you'll be able to find one. Happy hunting!