Monday, May 3, 2010

At Last!

I finally found the Mid-Century Modern table and chair set that I have been daydreaming about for over a year now! Even better - it was only $400 (with tax) for the whole set, which included 6 chairs and 3 leaves for expansion. The furniture is immaculate, which is rare for this period especially with larger pieces like this one. After selling my IKEA dining table and chairs this weekend for $150, my net is only $250. Not bad!

The place? Goodstuff Consignments in Forest Hill. Right now the entire store is marked down 40% - 50% to make room for new merchandise (hence my table/chair score). I enjoyed some solid conversation with the owner, Peter Burnet, about photography, art and design. The small store was impressively organized and the basswood crates he was using to display merchandise were great. The idea is so simple (which I love) and they had a really beautiful rhythm in repetition. He purchased the crates from the Mennonites at The Green Dragon in Lancaster, PA. IKEA has a similar product that I am a fan of - the IKEA PS Bintje. Surprisingly expensive for IKEA though.

Best of all, the entire table fit into my car (the chairs, admittedly, were a second trip). I'm telling you, EVERYTHING fits in my car. I once fit a full-sized mattress in there...

I am currently in the process of reupholstering the chairs and will post pictures once they are finished!

Kristen Ziegler

2 comments:

missemilyjones said...

those dishes are super cute- makes me want to go over there!! were they reasonably priced?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I actually didn't look at the prices on the dishes. But! With everything being 40%-50% off, I am guessing you could get a good deal.