Monday, November 1, 2010

Courtyards of Blue Cotton and Red Felt

I was in a class last week when the discussion turned to music and architecture - if you could visualize music in physical form what would it look like? I started imagining walking along the Pump House trails on a hazy, summer evening and hearing Sufjan Stevens' latest Futile Devices track... going into Main Street Station and hearing the light-hearted, quick-paced parts of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue... and then today was flipping through the latest Vogue only to find a similar experience in viewing Carey Mulligan in the most amazing couture ranging from a 1947 Dior structured red Bar jacket to a Dior Haute Couture printed organza with tier after tier of gorgeous blue cotton ballooning around her legs.

*ADD PHOTOS*

Photo credit Vogue, October 2010

In sketching some news ideas for an upcoming assignment (design for an urban courtyard) I found myself imagining the music and fashion of my courtyard - what do I hear, what would my courtyard be as a dress, a jacket, a hat, a song?

Emily Smith

1 comment:

missemilyjones said...

i love this post e.smith! such great photos. thanks for including them!