Monday, July 25, 2011

Couch Surfing & Cob Ovens

Two Saturdays ago I ended up at a Couch Surfing potluck in the Fan. I'd heard of Couch Surfing before, but didn't really know what it was all about. From what I understand, it's a worldwide project about bridging cultural gaps and making traveling more accessible. The website has profiles for surfers (travelers) and hosts (people offering accommodations) to connect. As a surfer, you can stay with a host for a minimal cost (one traveler mentioned $10/day), so all you have to cover is food and travel expenses. One woman at the potluck was just settling in from a whirlwind three month tour through Europe! What a liberating and minimalist way to live. Right up my alley.

At said potluck, we built a cob oven (for baking bread and pizza) together:


This involved a lot of stomping in the mud, which I loved.


Click here to learn more about cob ovens. Photo credits Rachel Rhoney.

Kristen Ziegler

No comments: